BAREFOOT WALKING AT THE VALGUMA PASAULE RECREATION CENTRE
Package type: half-day tour
Season: May – August
For whom: individuals/groups (max. 20)
Package includes: barefoot walking + lunch or dinner
Duration of the programme: 3–4 hours (excl. transportation)
Duration of the walk: approx. 1–1.5 hours
Degree of difficulty: easy to moderate hike
Type of transport: tour bus/individual transfer
Valguma Pasaule Recreation Centre
Address: Valgums, Engures nov., Smārdes pag., Latvia
Distance from Riga: 60 km
The Barefoot Path begins at the Valguma Pasaule Recreation Centre by Lake Valgums, which is surrounded by forest. The recreation centre includes a hotel and restaurant, and offers nature-based services such as the Barefoot Path and other walking trails.
The Barefoot Path is a 2.6 km long trail through the natural environment, along which visitors walk barefoot and experience a variety of surfaces including pine cones, glass balls, small stones and shingles of various shapes, moss, fine sand, clay, river water, turf, gravel, reeds, chipped wood, pinewood logs, wooden poles and millstones. Walking barefoot has a number of positive health effects:
- it strengthens the immune system;
- it improves blood circulation and stabilises blood pressure;
- it strengthens the leg and foot muscles, joints and ligaments; and
- it enhances relaxation, and aids mental and physiological stability.
The walk is led by an English-speaking guide. Before the walk, visitors receive a briefing. It is recommended that visitors wear comfortable outdoor clothing, appropriate for the weather. After walking the barefoot path, visitors usually feel energised, strong and happy. The walk finishes with a relaxing herbal foot bath.
- Bus ride from Riga, approx. 1 hour.
- Arrive at Valguma Pasaule Recreation Centre. Meet the guide, briefing (approx. 10 min.).
- Guided barefoot walk in the natural environment, during which visitors experience a variety of surfaces (approx. 1–5 hours).
- Return to the starting point and enjoy a relaxing foot bath (approx. 30 min.).
- Lunch or dinner on site. The meal begins with a small starter picnic in the yard, followed by a two-course meal served in the restaurant’s glass veranda. Duration approx. 1 hour.