Master classes in handicrafts and foods
SEASON: April – October
FOR WHOM: groups (10 – 12 pers.)
SERVICES INCLUDED: as per programme
DURATION OF THE PROGRAMME: 3 days
TYPE OF TRANSPORT: tour bus /mini bus
A three-day programme for groups visiting craft centres for master classes and workshops in knitting the Latvian traditional mittens and gloves, making amber jewellery and making the traditional foods.
This programme allows participants to learn about Latvian ethnography and traditions through meeting local craftsmen and having master classes with them in knitting traditional mittens and gloves, making amber jewellery and cooking traditional foods. There is chance to have a unique experience because of the authenticity of some places and traditions, for example the ethnographic house of living history Zvanītāji still retains its original appearance – massive ceilings, large family room with bread oven and natural, unpainted wooden floor. The carew chimney is still in the kitchen. The house is filled with characteristic looms, a family table, beds, wardrobe, cradle, various items and tools used on the farm.
• Optional introductory meeting at Senā Klēts crafts centre, Rātslaukums 1, Riga.
• Departure to Talsi.
• Workshop Knitted Gloves with masters from Applied Arts Studio Dzīpars at Talsi craft house.
• Departure from Talsi to Liepāja.
• Welcome evening.
• A tour around Liepāja.
• Zvanītāji ethnographic house of living history at Ru-
• Culture program ‘The Rucava Honorary Meal’ and preparation of the traditional Rucava dishes.
• Workshop: Colorwork Mittens (4 to 5 colors) and Honeycomb Brioche Mittens.
• Departure back to Liepāja.
• Visiting the crafts centre Liepājas Amatnieku nams, meeting the craftsmen. The world’s longest amber necklace.
• Workshop: Making amber jewellery.
• Stop in medieval town Kuldīga, tentatively listed by Unesco World Heritage Centre.
• A walking tour around Kuldīga.